The prophecies just keep coming in Jeremiah. In chapter 45 Jeremiah gives a message to his scribe (writer) Baruch. Apparently, Baruch had gotten a bit disgruntled with his work and subsequent suffering and was thinking, "enough is enough already!" God's message to Baruch wasn't so much what he probably wanted to hear though. Essentially God told Baruch, "Don't seek greatness - I will keep you alive - that's your reward!" Hmm...OK.
It is important to remember that God's people were indeed already in exile at this time AND that, although it would be seventy years before their release, God's messages kept coming. What I see from this is that even when we sin and get into a huge "pickle" of a situation, God's word still has a thing or two to say to us; even to the divorcee, the unwed mother, the convict, the parent who was too busy, or the individual hopelessly in debt. God's message is HOPE! YES!
I have a question concerning the NT reading today. 2 Timothy 2.22 says, "Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts..." Are we supposed to read this as instruction to get away from our spouse??? I mean, when I get around my spouse, I start feeling quite youthful! (I know, I know - its obvious I'm a guy) One might answer, "that's not what that means," but seriously, what does it mean? Do we not immediately exclude the marriage relationship from this mandate? Is there not a 'matrimonial allowance' we default to when considering passages such as these? I sure hope so! Are there other 'prohibitive' passages where this might apply?
God, thank You for Your Word. It really is good. It really makes a difference in my life. Please help me apply it more and more each and every moment I live.
No comments:
Post a Comment