Saturday, October 21, 2006

Content with God or Gold?

I suppose it is just a tough life to be a prophet. I sure wouldn't want the job! Jeremiah seems to stay in trouble with the powers that be. When Zedekiah became king, he apparently wanted to have some relationship with Jeremiah; it almost seemed that he wanted to protect Jeremiah. but he just couldn't get past the message that Jeremiah kept delivering. Even simple non-threatening things Jeremiah went about to do (like go check on his land he bought) were misconstrued against him (he was accused of defecting). I am sure Jeremiah felt lonely much of the time. Ahh, the life of a prophet! No thank you!

In 1 Timothy today, Paul continues his instructive discourse to Timothy. One thing that stands out to me today is how 'level' Paul's instruction is. Verse 6 of chapter 6 speaks loudly to me, "Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth." Am I content? Am I godly? How about this; Am I content with godliness? OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI: "godliness" spelled with only the slightest of change is "goldiness." Are we content with God or with gold?

Lord I want to be content in You. I want to be content in my life in You. I want to be content in my life in the church. I want to be content in the role You have given me to fulfill. Help. Please.

No comments: