Thursday, October 19, 2006

Be An Example

Within today's reading in Jeremiah, there is a clear prophecy of Jesus. 33.15 says, "In those days and at that time I will raise up a righteous descendant from King David's line. He will do what is just and right throughout the land." I can see how easily the people could have misunderstood this prophecy to mean this would occur when they returned from exile in Babylon.

I also was encouraged by the NLT wording about the assurance of this 'righteous descendant' found in verses 20 and 21 of chapter 33, "... If you can break my covenant with the day and the night so that one does not follow the other, only then will my covenant with my servant David be broken. Only then will he no longer have a descendant to reign on his throne..." Strong words of assurance I think!

I found the second part of verse 22 thought provoking as well. "... The same is true for my covenant with the Levitical priests who minister before me." What does that mean?

Each person who is a NT believer should read 1 Timothy 4.1-16 and receive it as a personal directive. The whole 'deception' thing is important for us to keep before us (vs. 1-5). Also, in verse 12 Paul instructs' "Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." I don't see this as legalistic at all. I see it as the way to effectively reach out to others. And that is the whole point of our being left on this earth anyway (post salvation); so we can reach out to others. Cool!

Help me really be an example, Lord. Let others see You in me and desire the same.

No comments: