Isaiah 54.9: "Just as I swore in the time of Noah that I would never again let a flood cover the earth, so now I swear that I will never again be angry and punish you." Pretty interesting words. This sure goes against the teaching and preaching of many people I know. I haven't followed as closely as I should on Isaiah this time through, but even if this prophecy is just for Israel, what does it mean? Has Israel not been punished since the time of this writing? If it is for 'believers' in general, what does it mean? Has the church not been punished since the time of this writing? This is good - as contemporary believers we frequently proclaim that we will not be destroyed by flood again because of God's covenant with Noah. But what about this verse in Isaiah? Will we as modern Christians proclaim this verse for ourselves as well?
Ironically, in this same OT reading, in the next chapter of Isaiah is a verse we evangelicals frequently use: "The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it." Isaiah 55.10-11.
I am certain there is a good theological explanation for all this, but I am also not afraid to ask some questions; I mean, why not ask? It is from our questions that we obtain answers! YES!
I see Paul again today seemingly presenting both grace and works. "Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do [grace all the way]. "Honor your father and mother." This is the first commandment with a promise [works all the way]: If you honor your father and mother, "things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth."" Ephesians 6.1-3. Am I just making this up? I personally can see how a trained Pharisee (Paul) could struggle to get his presentation straight once he converted to 'new covenant' - is that what is happening here?
As I read Ephesians with my questions in mind, I notice more of what seems to be Paul's struggle with presenting true grace without reverting to works. Is that not the same struggle we face today? Is the message of grace simply too good to be true? Is the message of grace too dangerous? Can we not allow God to work out salvation in people without our heaping rules on them because WE are afraid they might not meet our expectations? Whose expectations are we trying to meet anyway? God has already made it quite clear that our righteousness is like filthy rags - that we are sinners - that we are thoroughly incapable of saving ourselves.
We just need to get real. John 3.16. Period.
Help us Lord, to get real. Help us lay aside our expectations that cause us to alienate those around us. Help us to love You. Help us love our fellow man. Grace is certainly more amazing than we ever imagined - thank You, Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment