Translate

Thursday, October 10, 2024

What IS The Will Of God?

Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But you haven’t believed in me even though you have seen me. However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them. For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. For it is my Father’s will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day.” [John 6.35-40]

I want to focus on these words Jesus spoke: I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. 

These are powerful words that Jesus spoke and they are enlightening for us. The matter of "God's will" should be seriously considered. Jesus came to do God's will. So, naturally the question begs to be asked, "What is God's will?" (It seems I've heard that question before!)

Jesus said:

And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. For it is my Father’s will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day. [John 6.39-40]

Now, without getting all weird and religious about it, we should understand some clues Jesus gave us about God's will FOR OUR LIVES!

He said to his disciples, “The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.” [Matthew 9.37-38]

You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. [John 15.16]

Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [Matthew 28.18-20]

And then he told them, Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone. Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned. These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages. They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.” [Mark 16-15-18]

It was also written that this message would be proclaimed in the authority of his name to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem: ‘There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.’ [Luke 24.47]

Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. [John 17.18]

Again he said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.” Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, they are forgiven. If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.” [John 20.21-23]

Far too many people read these passages from the Bible with preconceived religious dispositions. No matter how much Jesus and Bible writers pointed out His unity with believers, their unity with Him, and His unity with the Father, people still say, "Well, that was Jesus..." Somehow they read all the enlightening passages above and still don't get it.

Believers in Jesus Christ are called to EVERYTHING Jesus was called to including the cross! Do we need to rehearse here all the occurrences of Jesus making the very statement, "take up your cross..."?

The difference between true Christianity and religion is this: Religion is what it wants to be while Christianity is what Jesus demonstrated. Period.

The "I" in "G-O-D'-S W-I-L-L" is not about "me."

Even Jesus did not come to please Himself - He came to do the will of the Father. Where did we ever get the notion that it is any different for us? Faith was not given to us to frolic in self-indulgence! We were given faith to do the will of God. We were given faith to face our own cross so that others might see Jesus in us in His fullest expression. Yes, it might indeed require moving a mountain, but to what end? Just so I can build a swimming pool? Not likely!

If we truly partake of the bread of life we will never be hungry again because our hunger is of no consequence. If we truly drink of Jesus' blood we will never be thirsty again because our thirst is of no consequence. Hunger and thirst are human goals (needs actually) having nothing to do with God except that God said he would take care of them:

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. [Matthew 6.33]

If Jesus came to do the will of God, and, we are "in Him" then there is little question what our lives are to look like.

What we fail to understand is that God have given people to us just like He gave people to Jesus. Look again:

And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. [John 6.39]

If we ever had a question why the Apostle Paul said the following, we should understand that God has given us people too:

I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. [1 Timothy 2.1-4] 

One "gives thanks" for what one has been given! And, what one has been given, one is responsible for!

This all kind of points back to the miracle of the loaves and fish... If we make it about us getting fed, we have missed the point entirely because our hearts are hard and unyielded.

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs. [John 6.26]

Soi, let's look again at Jesus' example:

For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. [John 6.38]

Jesus is our only example of what doing God's will looks like. There are no other choices.

Yeah but... 

Father, forgive us for silly ideas that we should "live our best lives," or, "be the best version of ourselves." Oh God, we have made Your will out to serve us instead of us serving You. Please forgive us! May we be found faithful servants albeit family with You! May our goals be the family goals!

No comments: