Translate

Friday, August 30, 2024

A Famous Preacher Once Said...

“For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search and find my sheep. I will be like a shepherd looking for his scattered flock. I will find my sheep and rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on that dark and cloudy day. I will bring them back home to their own land of Israel from among the peoples and nations. I will feed them on the mountains of Israel and by the rivers and in all the places where people live. Yes, I will give them good pastureland on the high hills of Israel. There they will lie down in pleasant places and feed in the lush pastures of the hills. I myself will tend my sheep and give them a place to lie down in peace, says the Sovereign LORD. I will search for my lost ones who strayed away, and I will bring them safely home again. I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak. But I will destroy those who are fat and powerful. I will feed them, yes—feed them justice! [Ezekiel 34.11-16]

Israel's shepherds had become idols to the people. Idols promise to do things for people that God said He would do. Instead, idols become a burden to people costing them dearly... All we have to do is look earlier in Ezekiel 34 to see that this very thing had occurred:

“Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds, the leaders of Israel. Give them this message from the Sovereign LORD: What sorrow awaits you shepherds who feed yourselves instead of your flocks. Shouldn’t shepherds feed their sheep? You drink the milk, wear the wool, and butcher the best animals, but you let your flocks starve. You have not taken care of the weak. You have not tended the sick or bound up the injured. You have not gone looking for those who have wandered away and are lost. Instead, you have ruled them with harshness and cruelty. So my sheep have been scattered without a shepherd, and they are easy prey for any wild animal. They have wandered through all the mountains and all the hills, across the face of the earth, yet no one has gone to search for them. [Ezekiel 34.2-6]

Then, following Ezekiel 34.2-6, we see God's plan of action as the result:

“Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD: As surely as I live, says the Sovereign LORD, you abandoned my flock and left them to be attacked by every wild animal. And though you were my shepherds, you didn’t search for my sheep when they were lost. You took care of yourselves and left the sheep to starve. Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD. This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I now consider these shepherds my enemies, and I will hold them responsible for what has happened to my flock. I will take away their right to feed the flock, and I will stop them from feeding themselves. I will rescue my flock from their mouths; the sheep will no longer be their prey. [Ezekiel 34.7-10]

So, at this point in history, it appears God made a decision about Israel's leaders that stripped them of their position. This is important. This is what Ezekiel 34.11-16 says GOD will do as their LORD in contrast to what the shepherds-become-idols promised. And, it is this turning point that reveals Jesus in Ezekiel's writing:

And I will set over them one shepherd, my servant David. He will feed them and be a shepherd to them. And I, the LORD, will be their God, and my servant David will be a prince among my people. I, the LORD, have spoken! [Ezekiel 34.23-24]

How awesome is that? But there is much much more to this...

As Israel represents all God's people for all history, Israel represents the Church. And, although the early Church initially followed Jesus' example utilizing disciple-making from house-to-house (not following pompous leaders like the Scribes, Pharisees and Sadducees), it all-too-soon reverted back to a religious hierarchy of shepherds (pastors, leaders) over large groups of people. The Church began to elevate people and, instead of spreading out as Jesus commanded, they spread up elevating local leaders to a position God condemned for all time in Ezekiel

Yes, the Apostle Paul defined roles of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers, but in his own model, he remained true to spreading out instead of spreading up with himself at the top. But this is precisely what the model became to the point that we are in today where there are mega churches (and even tiny churches on every street corner) that measure their growth upward elevating a single man or group of men instead of measuring their growth outward where no man or group of men is exalted. 

This elevation of men is seen in historical preachers and evangelists who led great revivals... but, to what end? After the great revival periods, people fell away once again. While this seems 'normal' enough, only today are we seeing the immense damage done by the elevation of individual men in these periods. There is a big push among certain Christian groups today to convince Christians that miracles have passed away - it's called "Cessation." Who are the Cessationists quoting? Jesus? No! They are quoting these great revivalist preachers and elevated leaders of the past: Spurgeon, Edwards, and the likes!

It is worth inserting here that we should "follow the money." By that, we should understand that the abominable teaching of "cessation of miracles" necessitates and guarantees the use of the expensive devices of man's knowledge, the idols of debt, insurance, medicine and technology. Who might be behind the scenes supporting this??

And yet, Ezekiel 34 called out the problem of elevated leaders long before! Ezekiel 34.11-16 is nothing if it is not God's announcement of His future miraculous interaction with His people as their ONLY God without need for the hierarchy of religion. God's announcement was fulfilled in the Advent of Jesus Christ (His 'servant prince David').

The leadership the Apostle Paul defined was never intended to elevate any human above others. In fact, Paul strongly downplayed the elevation of himself, Apollos and others. What mattered was the outward furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the corporate efforts of united believers each doing their part. Paul never suggested that his words should establish doctrine but instead demanded that people follow him as he followed Christ! Jesus is the ONLY ONE WHO SHOULD BE ELEVATED!

Today's hierarchal religion is uncomfortably similar to the idolatrous leadership structure God condemned in Ezekiel 34. A true Christian leader is one whose name doesn't matter. A true Christian leader is one whose life is so hidden in Christ that only the name of Jesus is glorified. A true Christian leader will cringe at people quoting him instead of Christ!

Father, reveal Your truth to us even it demolishes our current ideas of how we think things ought to be! Forgive us for mindlessly following leaders instead of Your Word - Your Son - Jesus Christ!

No comments: