Translate

Friday, June 14, 2024

Marriage

But Jehoram followed the example of the kings of Israel and was as wicked as King Ahab, for he had married one of Ahab’s daughters. So Jehoram did what was evil in the LORD’s sight. [2 Chronicles 21.6]

On this day in 2018 and 2020, I wrote a couple articles that rang true to me again today.

As I read today's OYCB reading again today, this verse once again stood out to me, and a couple thoughts prevailed.

First, from a man's perspective, his choice in a wife is critical. But this is no different than the importance of a woman's choice of a husband. It has nothing to do with gender, but instead, everything to do with character.

The next thing that stands out is the fact that the verse above reveals the influence a wife can have over a husband. Once again, however, this also is a two-way street. The point is, a spouse can be either a good influence or a bad influence.

I would be a fool to think my wife has not influenced me enormously in life. Thank God she came from a solid Christian family! This does not relieve me of the responsibility to lead our home in righteousness, but it sure helps the process!

So the takeaway from this verse is that the marriage relationship is worthy of much consideration before engaging in, and, its influence must be understood once consummated. If you have a good spouse, be thankful. If you have a bad spouse, be a good influence. No other institution known to mankind has such potential influence another person.

Father, thank You for Angela, my wife. May I continue to enjoy the goodness in her while also remaining mindful of the two-way influence we have upon each other. May we, together, bring glory to You as we encourage each other to be close to You in being more like Jesus. So be it.

No comments: