Translate

Friday, May 24, 2024

"The Place" Changed Locations

So Solomon finished the Temple of the LORD, as well as the royal palace. He completed everything he had planned to do in the construction of the Temple and the palace. Then one night the LORD appeared to Solomon and said, “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this Temple as the place for making sacrifices. At times I might shut up the heavens so that no rain falls, or command grasshoppers to devour your crops, or send plagues among you. Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. My eyes will be open and my ears attentive to every prayer made in this place. For I have chosen this Temple and set it apart to be holy—a place where my name will be honored forever. I will always watch over it, for it is dear to my heart. [2 Chronicles 7.11-16]

In light of yesterday's post ("The Place" Is Important), it seems appropriate to further discuss "the place" being discussed here today again.

The newly constructed Temple is the subject of this passage today. Although this passage contains one of Christendom's most popular passages, 2 Chronicles 7.14, how does this verse apply to us today if, in its context, it was connected to the Temple that has long since been destroyed and no longer exists? Every Christian should know the answer to this question!

Location, location, location!

In simplest terms, "the place" has changed locations. As discussed yesterday, Jesus brought significant change to the Temple as it was known at that time, shifting its position from a place on the map to the human heart (when the veil in the Temple was torn from top to bottom). Jesus made communion with God possible anywhere the human heart was. So, let's plug this knowledge into 2 Chronicles...

Although "the place" changed locations, what was to take place there did not! As detailed in 2 Chronicles 7.11-16, at the onset of troubles (which signal the presence of sin), God demands us to come to "the place" in humility, prayer, seeking His face and turning from our wicked ways. God promises faithfully to heal, forgive and restore as the result. God further confirms that His eyes will be open and His ears attentive to EVERY PRAYER made in "the place."

What follows in verse 16 is explanatory: For I have chosen this Temple and set it apart to be holy—a place where my name will be honored forever. I will always watch over it, for it is dear to my heart.

Ready for this?

Jesus was consistent with 2 Chronicles when He taught us to pray! What is the very first thing Jesus went on historical record to say we should begin our prayer with?

Pray like this: Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. [Matthew 6.9]

God told Solomon that He chose the Temple to be set apart as holy - a place where His name would be honored forever. "Forever" is hardly possible if the Temple as a structure no longer exists. However, if "the place" merely changed locations, then "forever" is not a problem word in the context. As the Holy Spirit dwells in us (our hearts) and we pray in declaration, "May Your name be kept holy," we are thereby agreeing with God that our heart is set apart to be holy - a place where His name will be honored forever! We can also be very sure then that He will always watch over our heart, for it is dear to His!

The importance then of humility, prayer, seeking God's face, and turning from our wicked ways (repentance in deed, not just word) is paramount. Anywhere, any time, all we have to do is speak thus to God Who dwells in us by His Holy Spirit Whom we invited in at His "knocking."

Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. [Revelation 3.20]

How important then is it that we first invite Him in when He knocks? This is the moment of salvation.

It is equally important that going forward we humble ourselves, pray, seek His face, and turn from our wicked ways when troubles come (as God's way to let us know there is a problem: "At times I might shut up the heavens so that no rain falls, or command grasshoppers to devour your crops, or send plagues among you...").

"The place" this all takes place indeed changed and the location is much, much better! God is as near as our heart if indeed we have opened our heart to Him and invited Him in.

Father, may Your name indeed be kept holy as You dwell in me by Your Spirit! In my troubles, may I not be found stubborn but instead be found humble, prayerful, seeking You and repentant. I love You, LORD and am thankful that You chose to live and love in me.

No comments: