Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Overwhelmed? Stay Focused!

When I am overwhelmed, you alone know the way I should turn. Wherever I go, my enemies have set  traps for me. I look for someone to come and help me, but no one gives me a passing thought! No one will help me; no one cares a bit what happens to me. Then I pray to you, O LORD. I say, “You are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life. [Psalm 142.3-5]

I think I know at least a little what being overwhelmed feels like. The more I have learned of God and His Word, the more my faith seems challenged. Is it any wonder?

The sensation of being overwhelmed is real. It was apparently real for David too. Imagine that, David, the fierce fighting machine who slayed Goliath, and yet, he was overwhelmed!

It seems David was indeed a fearless and fierce fighting machine when it came to obvious and threatening enemies like Goliath and the Philistines. However, when it came to his own people, like Saul, who wished to destroy him, it was overwhelming.

The quandary David found himself in was real. No doubt, David was fully aware of his warrior prowess and that he could easily destroy Saul. But there was more at play here. Saul was anointed by God (we will see more of this in days to come) and David feared God above all else rendering him overwhelmed at what to do.

But for those of us who see ourselves in David, finding in him one to commiserate with, we should understand more from today's OYCB reading...

One day the prophet Gad told David, “Leave the stronghold and return to the land of Judah.” So David went to the forest of Hereth. [1 Samuel 22.5]

God, through the prophet Gad, instructed David to go back to Judah. Why? Because God had anointed David as king and, because Judah was David's place of heritage, it was therefore the place from which he would lead as king. So, let's see what God had for David to do there...

One day news came to David that the Philistines were at Keilah stealing grain from the threshing floors. David asked the LORD, “Should I go and attack them?” “Yes, go and save Keilah,” the LORD told him. [1 Samuel 23.1-2]

While Saul was distracted on killing David, David was seeking God and being led to deliver his people Israel - as any good king would do! And there's our lesson from this little story: stay focused on the kingdom work we are called and anointed to do regardless of the overwhelming circumstances surrounding it.

Father, help me to stay focused on the work You have called me to do - the work You have called all who follow You to do - make disciples!

No comments: