Translate

Sunday, July 24, 2022

There Is More To It

Let all the world look to me for salvation! For I am God; there is no other. I have sworn by my own name; I have spoken the truth, and I will never go back on my word: Every knee will bend to me, and every tongue will declare allegiance to me.” [Isaiah 45.22-23]

In the midst of all Isaiah's writing about Israel, here we find an important clue that "Israel" means more than a political nation or genetic people.

God's choice of words through Isaiah are not without significance! "Let all the world..." and "Every knee..." as well as "every tongue" indicate God's inclusion of all peoples and nations as the collective object of His desire. To miss this important point is to miss the point entirely.

Is it any wonder that Jesus made the following statement?

“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. [John 3.16]

I am currently re-thinking all that I have ever thought in the past about "Israel" and its meaning in the Bible! There is more to it!

In fact, "Israel" according to footnotes in many translations of the Bible is used synonymously many times with "Jacob" whose name was changed to Israel because he wrestled with God and prevailed. "Israel" is defined as one who contends with God.

Here is a great spot to point out that intercession is contending with God... Just sayin'...

The entire Bible "pops" when we begin to see ourselves in every relationship God had with Israel and then with Jesus. Jesus said:

“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! [John 5.39]

Now we can see the eternal significance of the word "in" when it comes to our relationship with the name and person of Jesus. To understand "in the name of Jesus" and "in Christ" should take as much concentration as we can give.

Father, there is so much You are causing me to see here. Please continue to reveal Truth to me and keep me ever focused on Jesus!

No comments: