Translate

Friday, July 22, 2022

Hezekiah's Story Reveals Jesus

Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You restore my health and allow me to live! Yes, this anguish was good for me, for you have rescued me from death and forgiven all my sins. [Isaiah 38.16-17]

As I read the accounts of Hezekiah's story again today from 2 Kings, Isaiah and 2 Chronicles, I found myself a bit confused about the whole deal - maybe even frustrated as I try to figure it out.

The narrative of Hezekiah's life here can be confusing. His sickness was from the Lord and he was told it would kill him. Then he prayed and was given 15 more years of life. There was a global miracle in the sundial going backwards ten steps. God tested Hezekiah regarding the visit from the Babylonian ambassadors. Then he "got proud" and Isaiah told him his descendants would go into captivity to Babylon.

Hezekiah's downfall, we are told, was pride. So, there was sin involved. But the timing of all this story gives me pause... Of course, God is timeless, so He knew Hezekiah's sin before Hezekiah did it. Was that then what the original sickness was about? It seems like Hezekiah would have been better off to have just died with that sickness! At least, certainly it would have been better for his sons and the people of Judah!

But as I considered all this, I was reminded of Jesus' words:

“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! [John 5.39]

Hezekiah's prayer (part of which is Isaiah 38.16-17), made me think of something... What if this prayer could be seen as Jesus' prayer? Look at it again:

Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You restore my health and allow me to live! Yes, this anguish was good for me, for you have rescued me from death and forgiven all my sins. [Isaiah 38.16-17]

What if Hezekiah's prayer and the "discipline" mentioned was in fact predictive of Jesus and the Cross? But wouldn't there be a problem with Jesus saying, "You have ...forgiven all my sins..." since He had indeed not sinned ...ever?

My thoughts at this point reflected back to the last couple weeks or more that I have been growing in my understanding of my being "in Christ." How important it is that I identify with Christ! 

BUT!!!!! How much more important is it that while now seated at the right hand of God, Christ identifies with me!

If the Scriptures indeed point to Jesus (and they do - John 5.39) then, Hezekiah's prayer very easily translates into Jesus' prayer and furthermore reveals Jesus' identification with "me" (the world) in His rejoicing in God's forgiveness of sins! This is HUGE!

My thoughts then went on to the seven sons of Sceva who identified with Christ (whom Paul preached) but who clearly were not covered by Christ identifying with them (Acts 19.13-15)! These guys were clearly trying to get religious, but had no identity in Christ as Christ clearly did not identify with them in His power.

Oops, there we go... the proof of Jesus' identifying with us is power.

Hezekiah's prayer (and, for the sake of context here, let's say Jesus' prayer too) revealed power - the power of forgiveness manifested in healing. This forgiveness that manifested in healing for Hezekiah came as the result of "discipline" (sickness) that led to repentance. The forgiveness that manifested in healing and eternal life for Jesus came as the result of the "discipline" of the Cross that led to repentance...

Wait for it...

The forgiveness of our sin on the Cross was secured in Christ as He prayed: “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.” And just what is the significance of Jesus praying that? Consider this:

“If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins. [Matthew 6.14-15]

As Jesus carried all the sin of the world to the Cross, it was necessary that that sin be repented of. According to what Jesus said in Matthew 6.14-15, the repentance necessary to forgive all the sin of man (that Jesus carried to the Cross as a man) was accomplished in Jesus (as a man) forgiving the world on the Cross (if you forgive... your Father will forgive you).

Think of it like this: “If you [Jesus, identifying as mankind - ie. Son of Man] forgive those who sin against you [“Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.”], your heavenly Father will forgive you [Jesus, as a man, carrying all the sin of the world to forgiveness].

You see, it was first necessary that Jesus identify with us! And He did! And, He now sits at God's right hand on our behalf.

I know I have not fully addressed Hezekiah's plight here. But I have found Jesus in the Scriptures. And as I recall that being "in Christ" is accomplished only "in faith," I see that the only possible disconnect between me and the power of God (manifest in healing and salvation) is faith. I also know that every man has been given the measure of faith, but not every man walks in that faith (and suffers for it). The reason is because faith is an obedience and that is why Jesus used language indicating a man should "lay down his own life," or "take up his own cross" - Jesus was making no mistake about stating that faith is an obedience - a submission!

To look at Hezekiah's prayer as something I should figure out and pray for salvation is shortsighted. To look however at Hezekiah's prayer as something Jesus already prayed on my behalf IS salvation. Again:

“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! [John 5.39]

My mind is exploding right now with all the implications of what is said here...

Father, thank You for the revelation of Jesus in Hezekiah's story. Thank You for giving me the faith I need to simply obey Christ - and in that obedience to enjoy life on earth and eternal life (Your Kingdom).

No comments: