Translate

Friday, June 24, 2022

Jesus Was A Tool

But can the ax boast greater power than the person who uses it? Is the saw greater than the person who saws? Can a rod strike unless a hand moves it? Can a wooden cane walk by itself? [Isaiah 10.15]

The context of this verse is God's address of Assyria through the prophet Isaiah. God pointed out that Assyria was indeed His "tool" but that Assyria had become proud in its position. There is quite the discourse regarding the sin of pride in Assyria.

But then, check out this prophecy about Jesus:

Out of the stump of David’s family will grow a shoot—yes, a new Branch bearing fruit from the old root. And the Spirit of the LORD will rest on him—the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD. He will delight in obeying the LORD. He will not judge by appearance nor make a decision based on hearsay. He will give justice to the poor and make fair decisions for the exploited. The earth will shake at the force of his word, and one breath from his mouth will destroy the wicked. He will wear righteousness like a belt and truth like an undergarment. [Isaiah 11.1-5]

The passage in Isaiah 11 is a contrast to the first passage above from chapter 10. The "Branch," Jesus, would not grow proud in His position, but instead faithfully follow the Spirit of the LORD. Consequently, all His decisions and actions would be right, obedient, just and therefore powerful.

Jesus thoroughly understood His mission. That is why He would stand in the Synagogue and read a synopsis of His existence also from Isaiah's writings:

“The Spirit of the LORD is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the LORD’s favor has come.” [Luke 4.18-19]

But what is really interesting is the humility of Jesus evidenced in how much of Isaiah's prophecy He chose to read there at that time. Here is what Isaiah wrote in a little fuller version:

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the LORD’s favor has come, and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies. [Isaiah 61.1-2]

Notice the very last part of Isaiah's prophecy about Jesus: He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the LORD’s favor has come, and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies. Jesus however did not quote the part I have underlined here. Why? I believe because it would have elicited a response from His listeners that would certainly have been an obstacle to Jesus' ongoing ministry at this point in time.

The point is, Jesus understood His mission and His mission was one of great power. And yet, Jesus chose not to proudly and unnecessarily wield His power over people (as Assyria did and suffered for it). Jesus demonstrated a principle of humility here that MUST NOT BE OVERLOOKED. Jesus, Almighty God in the flesh, viewed Himself as a "tool" for the Spirit of the Living God to use as He wished. As much as this statement that Jesus was a tool rubs us the wrong way, every thing Jesus said and everything Jesus did unequivocally proves that it is true.

So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does. [John 5.19]

So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I am he. I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me. [John 8.28]

The lesson of this is much deeper however. The point that Jesus was an amazingly humble "tool" is not even the main point... The TRUTH that awaits our revelation is that Jesus commissioned us to replicate His existence as a tool:

“I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. [John 14.12]

Again he said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.” [John 20.21]

So we are individually and collectively a "tool" of Jesus Christ!

So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” [2 Corinthians 5.20]

We should flee from any teaching or teacher that even suggests or allows a hint of pride in serving the LORD. I am simply God's tool on earth, Suffice it for today that I should enjoy being God's tool. It is necessary because pride in being a son of God on earth potentially short-circuits my focus on being a tool of God on earth. I have all eternity with Him in heaven ahead to enjoy the glory of being His son as Jesus currently enjoys that position now. Today, as a tool, I should focus on the work of the Kingdom!

But, being a tool for God's Kingdom is not a bad thing at all:

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. [Matthew 6.33]

Jesus was a tool on earth. He showed me exactly what my being a tool for God's Kingdom should look like. I will join Jesus in heaven to enjoy being the family of God - me being another son like the firstborn Son, Jesus.

Father, I want to better understand my "tool" status on earth. I am grateful for the revelation of Your Word regarding who I am on earth and who I will be in heaven. I want to avoid pride at every turn because I know You hate pride in every form.

No comments: