Translate

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Pride Must Be Dealt With

Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You restore my health and allow me to live! [Isaiah 38.16]

These words were part of a poem Hezekiah wrote.

Hezekiah, like so many others both then and now, struggled with the sin of pride. 

Hezekiah recognized that his sickness was discipline for pride. Hezekiah did the right thing and humbled himself (he repented) and was healed.

But that was not the end of Hezekiah's story.

Again, like so many others, Hezekiah's pride was deeply ingrained in him. It was something that kept coming back. It was something that Hezekiah apparently recognized but did not aggressively attempt to overcome. Oh sure, he repented when it got him in trouble, but he failed to see the negative effect it had on history - not just his life. Nowhere is this more profoundly seen than here after Isaiah confronted his for showing the Babylon envoy everything he owned:

Then Hezekiah said to Isaiah, “This message you have given me from the LORD is good.” For the king was thinking, “At least there will be peace and security during my lifetime.” [Isaiah 39.8]

Hezekiah was only concerned for himself. This self-absorbed attitude was the epitome of pride and Hezekiah had it bad.

Father, I am afraid I see all too much of myself in Hezekiah. Please forgive me for being concerned only for myself. Forgive me for this flagship characteristic of pride.

No comments: