Translate

Saturday, October 04, 2014

Logical Faith

When Jesus returned to Capernaum, a Roman officer came and pleaded with him, “Lord, my young servant lies in bed, paralyzed and in terrible pain.”  Jesus said, “I will come and heal him.”  But the officer said, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come into my home.  Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed.  I know this because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers.  I only need to say, ‘Go,’ and they go, or ‘Come,’ and they come.  And if I say to my slaves, ‘Do this,’ they do it.”  When Jesus heard this, he was amazed.  Turning to those who were following him, he said, “I tell you the truth, I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel! [Matthew 8.5-10]

Something very unusual happened here.  The Roman officer did not really fit the description of faith as we know it.  If we look closely at the Roman officer's line of thinking, it becomes quite apparent that the Roman officer used reason to conclude that Jesus could and would heal his servant!

In most Christian admonitions, teachings, and sermons, faith is presented as the antithesis of reason.  But not so here in this account with the Roman officer.  This man reasoned that Jesus would heal his servant!  He came to a logical conclusion.  Jesus called that logical conclusion "faith!"

Do we need to re-visit our definition of faith?  Can faith be the result of logic and reasoning?  It would appear so!

Have we seen evidence that would indicate that God indeed does miracles?  Most of us have in some way or another.  So, why not reference those past miracles when we ask God for present needs?

Father, You have done so many wonderful things in my life!  I have no doubt that You are capable of doing anything You wish!  Please help me in my current need as You have done in times past - THANK YOU!

No comments: