Translate

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Expecting

Mary responded, “Oh, how my soul praises the Lord.  How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!  For he took notice of his lowly servant girl, and from now on all generations will call me blessed.  For the Mighty One is holy, and he has done great things for me.  He shows mercy from generation to generation to all who fear him.  His mighty arm has done tremendous things!  He has scattered the proud and haughty ones.  He has brought down princes from their thrones and exalted the humble.  He has filled the hungry with good things and sent the rich away with empty hands.  He has helped his servant Israel and remembered to be merciful.  For he made this promise to our ancestors, to Abraham and his children forever.” [Luke 1.46-55]

Mary was expecting more than a child.  She was expecting the Messiah.

As I 'rewind' in my Bible reading this year, I must say, I found a little more indication of such expectation and prophecy in the Old Testament this time through.

There were others who were expecting as well - the shepherds, Simeon, and Anna (all mentioned in today's One Year Chronological Bible reading).  They were all, in fact, expecting a Messiah.  They attributed their expectation all the way back to a promise made to Abraham.

A sense of expectation seems to be consistent throughout the Bible.  Likewise, Jesus left us with a sense of expectation for His return.  I just wonder if we really get it.

So, where is my expectation?  It is growing each time I read through and understand more of the Bible!  That expectation is something only God's Living Word can inspire and draw out.

Father, help me to grasp more and more of the expectation generated by Your Word!

No comments: