Translate

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Good News / Bad News

When the king heard what was written in the Law, he tore his clothes in despair.  Then he gave these orders to Hilkiah, Ahikam son of Shaphan, Acbor son of Micaiah, Shaphan the court secretary, and Asaiah the king’s personal adviser: “Go to the Temple and speak to the Lord for me and for all the remnant of Israel and Judah.  Inquire about the words written in the scroll that has been found.  For the Lord’s great anger has been poured out on us because our ancestors have not obeyed the word of the Lord.  We have not been doing everything this scroll says we must do.” [2 Chronicles 34.19-21]

Josiah knew things were not right in Judah!  Likewise he knew they were in trouble and would pay for their sinfulness.  Josiah did the only thing that would make any difference when he humbled himself and repented and sought the LORD.

When inquiring from the prophet Huldah, Josiah was informed that the impending disaster would be postponed until after his reign, ...and so it was.

I wonder if Josiah made any attempt to persuade God to cancel the order of destruction upon Judah?  As far as I can tell, he made no such attempt on behalf of the nation and generations to follow.  So, the good news was that Josiah's reign would be spared judgment.  The bad news was that judgment was still coming.

Father, help me to do what is necessary to get myself and my generation right with You.  But help me also to be proactive in regards to the condition of generations to follow me as well!

No comments: