Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Light - Another Form Of Darkness?

But watch out, you who live in your own light and warm yourselves by your own fires. [Isaiah 50.11]

...throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy. [Ephesians 4 22-24]

The gist of these two verses seems to be that the believer (God-seeker, Christ-follower) cannot generate his own righteousness. It must be God's doing... it must be the work of the Spirit of God.

Unless it is God lighting our path, the light we "think" we see by is really just another form of darkness. This serves as a sobering realization to me today... as it should every day. It is so easy to formulate my own life principles and ideals - even live an exemplary life by them, and still be living - not by God's true light, but by my own.

Father, as I consider both Isaiah's and Paul's words in today's OYB reading, I am reminded that it is indeed YOUR light that leads me to YOU. Illuminate my path - lead me on this journey - let my quest be along the way You direct. Please help me to not deceive myself!

No comments: