Thursday, March 23, 2017

Makes Me Want To Shout!

On the seventh day the Israelites got up at dawn and marched around the town as they had done before. But this time they went around the town seven times. The seventh time around, as the priests sounded the long blast on their horns, Joshua commanded the people, “Shout! For the LORD has given you the town! [Joshua 6.15-16]

What was the significance of Israel shouting?

I just want to consider some things I have observed lately. 

The priests were instructed back in Numbers 6 to pronounce a blessing on Israel - they were to declare that blessing over the people in the hearing of the people.

I keep thinking of Jesus' teaching about prayer in Matthew 6 - "Pray like this..." As if we are to speak in a certain manner in our prayer. And then, Jesus instructed us what to say, "May Your Kingdom come..." not so much in an asking manner, but in a tone of authority - speaking on behalf of God.

I have been picturing myself standing before God when I pray lately. And when I pray these words, "May Your Kingdom come..." it is not so much I am asking God for anything, but agreeing with the plan and edict He has already established (of course His desire is that His Kingdom come)! And, when I declare, "May Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven..." and inject the names of people into my declaration, I am not so much asking God for His will in their lives, but I am obediently declaring God's will over their lives in His presence as His faithful servant. I put myself in agreement with God in His presence on behalf of those I pray for!

So, back to the original question: what was the significance of Israel shouting after their seventh trip around Jericho on that seventh day? It was their agreement with God - their victory shout - their release of all the power of heaven through their voices on behalf of God.

Makes me want to shout...

Father, let my voice always be in agreement with You! May Your Kingdom come! May Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven!

No comments: